Friday, December 7, 2012

That's The Beat of the Heart

Today I had my second prenatal appointment. I was so excited to go- because I wanted so much to hear my baby's heartbeat. I was not prepared for the surprise I got at the appointment today. When the doctor measured me- he said that usually you measure in cm. how far along you are in weeks. So when he said I was "right on target" because I measured at 20 cm... I was a little confused. As far as I knew, I should be 15 weeks tomorrow. I thought at that time maybe I misunderstood him. Next I got to hear the heartbeat. I think my baby is a little shy because it took us awhile to find it. The doctor had to keep moving the doppler around until we could finally hear it. But what an amazing sound that was!! It's an amazing thing to know something so little - and something inside of me- has got a heartbeat. :)
The doctor was then looking at my chart and asked me if I had an ultrasound scheduled yet. I told him no. He said, well we need to get that scheduled as soon as possible. You'll be able to find out what you are having... maybe we can squeeze you in today... 
I said "really- we can do that already?"
"Yes", he said. "Let's do it soon!"

When the appointment was over he sent me to the front to schedule my ultrasound. When I told the girl at the desk that I was supposed to schedule and ultrasound she asked if this was for my 20 week ultrasound. I said, "Well, I don't know. I thought I was 15 weeks. " She looks at the computer and tells me that the computer said my due date was May 3. Feeling a bit confused and a little excited we continued to discuss. The nurse went back to talk to my doctor. He said he really thinks I am at nineteen weeks and wants to proceed with the ultrasound next week. So, I set up an appointment. We will be able to find out how far along I am and possibly the gender... And now I am just completely confused. 

1 comment:

  1. That's hilarious and so exciting!! I've always been pushed back! My first pregnancy I got pushed back 2 weeks, and this one I've already been pushed back 1 week, so to say that I'm jealous would be an understatement!! So excited for you!

    ReplyDelete